Saturday, November 22, 2014

Personal Post #11: It's November? There's only 3 weeks of classes left? Winter break is coming?

It's November 22nd. How? How is it almost Thanksgiving? Time feels almost nonexistent here. It just feels like there's no way it can be November, for several reasons. 

Reason number 1: The Weather. Do you know what the temperature was yesterday? You probably don't, so let's take a look.

Thanks, Google.
Do you see this?? It was 75º yesterday (that's 23º Celsius). What was the temperature back at Sweet Briar yesterday?

Also from Google
39º (or 3º in Celsius) is what I'm used to feeling around this time of year. Now, if we recall the basic math skills I learned back in 2nd grade, the alligator (aka the < or > symbol) eats the bigger number: 75º > 39º (or 23º > 3º).

Why else doesn't it feel like November? There's not an overwhelming plethora of Christmas items everywhere. The city has hung Christmas lights in the streets, but according to my host mom, they don't get turned on until December 8th, which is annoying because I'm used to having Christmas stuff around since right after Halloween basically. Also, I have yet to hear any Christmas songs played in any stores. Actually, I have yet to hear any Christmas songs anywhere except for that little market thing going on outside the Cathedral. And lastly, I've only seen one store (pretty sure it's a chino, never bothered to pay that much attention) with a couple of mini-Christmas trees in the window, but that's it. That's literally it. Measly Christmas lights that aren't even turned on, one Christmas song, and a couple of small fake trees. As obnoxious as an American Christmas can be, I miss it the overwhelming Christmassy stuff all over the place!

However, to make things seem more normal, there is a "Thanksgiving Dinner" that JYS is having on Thursday, so we'll see how that is! It's not going to be the same as a regular Thanksgiving, but it's something. :)

But anyway, it basically still feels like September except I have the panic setting in that finals are coming up soon. The last day of class is only about 3 weeks away! I need to start reviewing if I plan on improving from my midterms. And since there's only 3 weeks of classes left, that means that I am thinking about what I'm going to do over my winter break...soooo:

I don't really know what I plan on doing for the majority of my Christmas break. Maybe just trying to explore Sevilla more, go to some of the museums I've ignored, explore the parts I haven't really had a chance to go to, etc. Maybe some day trips to some random cities around here. But, I do have some bigger plans:

This week, my good friends Isis and Genisis and I booked two flights. The first flight we booked was to...Dublin, Ireland! I've wanted to go to Ireland for such a long time! I remember flying over it on my first flight ever when I was going to London and thinking, "I'm going to be down there one day..." well that one day is coming in January! :D

My next flight I booked was for Christmas! I am spending Christmas in Brussels, Belgium! I've never even thought of wanting to go to Belgium (I kind of honestly forgot it even existed...), but when searching for cheap(ish) and fun travel plans for Christmas, I came upon a cheap(ish) flight to Brussels...so why not? I'm so excited! It seems like such a beautiful place. They have a really awesome looking Christmas market that I'm so excited to see! Here's a picture I found on Google:

Link here -- I can't wait to be here in person!

I don't think I've ever been so excited for Christmas break in my life!


Oh, and a random side note before I post this:

Last Saturday and today, I went to the vegan bakery, and I just want to say how amazing that place is. Last week, I got a donut and café con leche de soja (coffee with soymilk). This week, I got a chocolate-filled croissant, half a donut, and another café con leche de soja. I either need to learn how to become an epic vegan baker, or I need to pick up this place, tie it to my plane back to the USA, and "replant" it near Sweet Briar. Here are photos (yes, I am that person who takes photos of her food):

My (first) donut (in over a year since most donuts are not vegan) from last weekend

Isis' muffin, and the donut we split today (which was almost tear-worthy) 

The (amazing) chocolate filled croissant I had today



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.